A final report was presented to Council on September 19, 2018 with all of the data from the three world cafes, the paper survey, emails and phone calls and the online survey.
September 10, 2018 - This world cafe was held to discuss the Legacy Funds. This is the profits from the Sunshine Coast Community Forest. Participants were asked to identify the best uses for the funds and how the decisions should be made. Contributions were varied and included: economic benefits, support for industry, community facilities, trails and forest enhancements.
It was generally agreed that the decisions on legacy funds should be made with community input and not political.
July 16, 2018 - Two world cafes were held in July; one on the 9th and one on the 10th. These cafes included a presentation on the community forest and discussion groups. On the 9th 5 questions were considered but, due to time limitations, 4 were discussed at the session on the 10th.
- What are the top three most important aspects of the SCCF to you?
- If you were in charge of the SCCF what would you change?
- How would you like to see the Legacy Funds Distributed?
- How can the community be more involved in the SCCF?
- How can the SCCF best serve you? (and is that different from serving Sechelt?)
Attendance: July 9 - 56, July 10 - 32
The conversations included the following themes:
- Include and be responsive to community and their values when planning operations. Community involvement is important.
- Legacy funds are important and the community should be involved in the decisions around distribution.
- Improve transparency of SCCF operations.
- Increase education for the community about the forest (esp for youth). Communicate more information and more often.
- Local hire and local economic development are important. Consideration of reinvesting funds in local job creation.
- Environmental concerns include: clear cutting, preservation of sensitive areas, sustainable operations, watershed protection, wildlife protection and focusing logging in previously logged areas.
Questions? email firstname.lastname@example.org