Zoning in Sechelt

The Zoning Bylaw regulates the use of all lands within the District of Sechelt. Each “zone” specifies permitted uses. Also, the zoning bylaw provides limits to the height of buildings, setbacks, the total footprint of buildings (coverage). Furthermore, the Zoning Bylaw regulates a number of specific issues.  Please click on the following links for more information on:

For lands in the Agricultural Land Reserve(ALR) specific provincial regulations are in place.  For more information please visit their website.  For Private Managed Forest Lands specific provincial regulations are in place.  For more information please check the provincial website.

What does the zoning bylaw allow for my property?

For an overview of allowed uses and other requirements for your specific property please see our Zoning map.  Based on the map, you can check which zoning applies to your property and see the applicable requirements.

How do I change zoning for my property?

If you are considering to request a change to the zoning of your property, please contact the Planning and Development Services Department to discuss your options.  Please review our Guide to the Rezoning Process for more information.  The District of Sechelt will generally support rezoning applications that match the long term Official Community Plan goals for your property.

Can I get a variance for part of the zoning requirements? Some zoning regulations may be varied by way of a Development Variance Permit, except for uses and densities which cannot be varied.  If you think you need a variance on zoning requirements, please contact the Planning and Development Services Department to discuss your options or look for further information on the Development Variance Permit page.